Saturday, March 7, 2015

52 Weeks to a Clean House - Week 10: Laura Ingalls Wilder, Cleaning, and Me

Mary & Laura Ingalls doing chores - illustration by Garth Williams

In the novel, Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Laura describes her mother's cleaning schedule. After the beds are made and the dishes are done, Caroline tackles the work for that day.
  • Wash on Monday
  • Iron on Tuesday
  • Mend on Wednesday
  • Churn on Thursday
  • Clean on Friday
  • Bake on Saturday
  • Rest on Sunday
I love the simplicity and rhythm of her routine. My days vary so much, I have not yet successfully assigned a particular chore to a set day. I am learning, though, that I need to accomplish basic chores early in the week. My chores also differ from Caroline's. She didn't have such items as "pay the bills," "clean the bathrooms," and "go to the grocery store" on her schedule. But then again, I don't have to devote entire days to ironing and mending clothes, either.

This week I struggled to fit in regular cleaning with the other things on my calendar and then inspiration hit. Mary and Laura are doing the chores. I have children! I assigned out some Saturday jobs and while they were being done, I got another file drawer under control. 

I might even have time to do some reading today! 




No comments:

Post a Comment