Saturday, December 3, 2011

2011 Festival of Trees - Gingerbread Houses and More

Show Stopper - Capitol Building Gingerbread House

I have seen some pretty impressive entries in the gingerbread house category at the Festival of Trees in Sandy, Utah, but this one was drawing a crowd this year!  It was beautiful, and I cannot imagine the hours and attention to detail that went into designing it and putting it together.  I did see some gingerbread house ideas for us regular folks, though. One that caught my eye was Stonehenge. I think I may be able to stack crackers in that familiar pattern!

Doggie Treat "gingerbread" house.

If you need something edible for the dog in your life, check out this gingerbread house.  Dog bones featured prominently on this structure. Two movie-themed gingerbread houses also caught my eye this year.  One was the Weasley's Burrow from the Harry Potter movie (yes, I know it is a book, but the house looked like the one in the movie!), and the other was from the Disney animated feature, Tangled.

The Weasley's Burrow

Rapunzel's tower from "Tangled"

"Tangled" house detail

The gingerbread house from the movie "Tangled" even featured a dangling Flynn Rider.  I loved little details on these projects.  Of course, if making a gingerbread house is not high on your priority list this Christmas, perhaps you would find the wreaths appealing.

A Wreath named Bob

This wreath was very beautiful, but was really memorable for its name:  Bob.  I am sure there is a great story behind it.  My other favorite wreath featured penguins.  If you haven't considered putting penguins on your door at Christmas, check this out.

Penguin wreath...mantle not included.

We also wandered through a row of beautiful quilts.  Everything on display at the Festival of Trees is for sale, and all proceeds go to benefit Primary Children's Medical Center.  The money is used to assist children who cannot afford needed medical care.  Everything you see at the Festival is donated, and involves many hours and a lot of love.  It is a great place to kick off your Christmas festivities.

Quilt at the 2011 Festival of Trees

Be aware that the 2011 Festival of Trees ends today, at 10pm.  If you aren't able to make it this year, watch for it in early December next year.











4 comments:

  1. I love the Capitol building! Thanks for sharing since I couldn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that there are creative, talented people out there to make pretty things. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'd love to take you, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete