Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Art of Living in Thanksgiving

Illustration from N.C. Wyeth's Pilgrims

"Thou hast given so much to me,
Give one thing more, - a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleaseth me,
As if Thy blessings had spare days,
But such a heart whose pulse may be Thy praise."
--George Herbert


As I reflect on my many blessings this year, I have decided that it is a true gift to live in Thanksgiving daily.  These past few months have brought so many things to my life.  I have entered a world of cancer patients, and those who care for them.  I have been overwhelmed by kindness, competence, generosity, nurturing, gifts, compassion, empathy, advice, and laughter.  Overall, I have found much for which to be grateful.  I have always been told that I could choose my own attitude in my life, but for some reason, I have always had a long list of rationalizations as to why I really was not in control of my own attitude.  Or rather, I was constantly justifying my bad attitude.  But I notice the more grateful I am, the better life is, and so living in Thanksgiving daily is something worth pursuing.  I hope you all have a wonderful celebration with people you love, and that blessings will surround you and wash over you throughout this day and the upcoming year.  Happy Thanksgiving!


1 comment:

  1. I am grateful every day that I get to spend them with you. Love ya babe!

    ReplyDelete